January 27, 2010

Product Review: Sally Girl Baked Eyeshadows


My first introduction to baked eyeshadows was way back when MAC released their mineralized version. So, if you're a MAC addict you know that was some time ago. Since then there have been many, many companies who have created them and now you can get them for anywhere from $5 to $25....that is unless you know about Sally Girl baked eyeshadows.



I discovered these completely by accident and I am SO glad that I did. Not only are they super cute but there are also only $1 EACH! I couldn't believe it. Much like the rest of the Sally Girl line, which is available at Sally Beauty Supply or http://www.sallybeauty.com/, you get surprising good quality for a very reasonable price.

This latest addition to the line includes 12 shades that vary in pigmentation (gunmetal grey, dark aqua, and dark purple being the most pigmented, grey/purple the least). They also vary in their finish with a few of the shadows having micro glitter in them while others have more of a frosted finish and yet there are others that have multi-dimensional shimmer. The thing that impressed me was that there are colors to suit everyone - bold, neutral, smokey, soft. I was also impressed by the amount of product you get in the seemingly small pod.

Each shadow is 1.4g/.05 oz. and about the diameter of a penny. So, you look at them and think that they are tiny. At first I was a little bummed. Even though they were only a dollar, I thought I would use them up super quickly. I was happy to realize that wasn't the case at all. You actually get a good amount of product. I do want to say, though, that as much as I love the cute little pods they have domed lids which means they can't be stacked. I wouldn't advise depotting them either as baked products don't usually depot easily. So these can be a bit difficult to store and as they are baked they are most assuredly fragile so you can't just toss them in your makeup bag and go.

Just like any other baked shadow these can be used wet or dry. I tried them both ways but to be honest I prefer them dry with a very good base. I used LA Splash Splashproof Eyeshadow Base/Sealer. I would also recommend a good stiff brush that deposits color well or you will become easily frustrated trying to build the color for good color payoff.

The shades themselves don't have names on them. I had to visit the Sally website to find them. Instead, there are numbers on the back of each shadow. But, below I have swatched each color and provided the name and number for your reference. I hope you definitely go out and try them. With any luck they will be so successful Sally will expand the range. *BONUS* At the end of the swatches there is a video review for your viewing pleasure! :)

SO TO RECAP....

PROS:
  • Amazing value at under $1
  • Great color selection
  • Variety of finishes
  • Good availability, found at local Sally Beauty Supply
  • Deceptively large amount of product
  • Can be used wet or dry
  • Small size = space saver

CONS:
  • No names on indiviual shadows, must go to Sally website to view them
  • Pigmentation is inconsistent with some shadows being very pigmented, while others are very sheer
  • Colors can be difficult to build
  • Packaging makes for slightly difficult storage
  • Baked shadows can be very fragile

ONTO THE SWATCHES!




























VIDEO REVIEW:

3 comments:

Thanks girl, I'm all over these! - Myisha

Yep, go buy them. So cheap & a great way to experiment.

I will check these out. I appreciate you doing the swatches!

Post a Comment

Share

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More