May 24, 2010

The Makeup Show Week - Day 2


DAY 2

Alright...day 2. I had such a rough morning. My legs started cramping late at night so I woke up tired, sore and I wasn't at all rested. Because I hadn't slept I wasn't feeling that great and I had a headache. I was dragging and I ended up missing The Bulletproof Bride: Durable Bridal Makeup Kevin James Bennett for Make Up For Ever . This seminar was the main one I wanted to catch at the show because I was doing a friend's makeup for her wedding (which I found out today won't be needed). So I wasn't in a good mood. Long story short, I spoke to my mother and decided that it was up to me to make the best of my time in NYC because it would be over before I knew it. I took a deep breath and decided to collect myself before I went to the show.


There is a really cute indoor market that just opened called Limelight Marketplace. It's located just a couple of blocks away from the show so I wandered around in there and grabbed some gelato (1/2 coconut, 1/2 mango) and an espresso. It was on my list of places to check out in NYC and it was perfect. There is more coming on that in another post so stayed tuned.


I walked back to the pavilion and by this time the day was half over. I managed to walk around a bit and check out a few brands. Fluhme is a mineral makeup that reminded me of Mary Kay or Avon in terms of their business model.


(Left) MissChievous & Pixiwoo (on YouTube) have raved about Hakuhodo brushes and their superior quality. I walked past but didn't try them. I should have...but the prices are steeeep. (Right) Eve Pearl was doing a demo, on a WOC which I loved. I should have picked up some salmon concealer. Guess I'll have to wait for a sale on HauteLook.


Yaby is a brand that I need to investigate. The woman at the booth pointed out a beautiful highlighting powder, which I purchased. But, had she not stopped to show me I would have missed it. Another word to the wise, take the time to really read about and swatch products. You can miss out on so much!


(Left) Crown Brush, Makeup Forever and Inglot had the craziest lines! I had to come back to Crown at the end of the day to but my brushes. I can't deal with the crowds. I picked up 14 brushes for $47 - my most expensive purchase the entire show. Love Crown. I got shader brushes, lash fans, eyeliner brushes, powder brushes and much more. I'll be doing a haul post later this week. (Right) Mehron had some great stuff. I didn't take a good look only because I was SO overwhelmed by everything at the show and only had a limited amount of time to browse before the show was over.


I finally got my hands on some Lip Tars (Demure, Hoochie, Katricia, and Melange). They really do live up to the hype, I have to admit. I also LOVE Katie Pellegrino. She's the lead makeup artist for OCC and she's so nice. I met her at The Artist Summit and re-introduced myself at the show. I bought Katricia, Hoochie and Demure because I have seen her wear them all. So, I had to have them. Check out her site.


Senna is a brand that I have heard about from Risa (on YouTube) and I have seen them pop up on various sites like HauteLook. I am curios about them. They were awesome because they had a box of free eye liners, lip liner, lip gloss and foundation. I snagged a couple and I can't wait to try them. I will definitely let you guys know what I think.


(Left) The infamous Jennifer James. Don't know her? Google her. She's so stately and statuesque in person. (Right) Karen aka Ameritrini (on YouTube). I love her personality. :)


SanTara from The Gorgeous Ingredient put me onto this. Mixer is a true multi-purpose product. It can be used as a serum to prime and moisturize the skin. It also double as a medium for creating your own eyeliner, blush, or lip color. Actually, I suppose you could really use it for any custom product.



Makeup Forever was insane. Now that I think about it, I probably should have stopped by to pick up a few things but I just couldn't with that line. Next time.


(Left) Romero & Keri from MAC presenting their seminar. (Right) More body painting from MAC. They were really showcasing those acrylic paints.

Everyone was raving about the new women of color foundations. I should have grabbed one. I have heard NOTHING but good things.


Inglot was insane. There was a wait for them to create a custom palette for you so you placed your order, paid and came back later to pick it up. Well what was supposed to be a half an hour for some turned into a couple of hours more. I got lucky. I picked up the pressed powder and let me say it is the bomb! Silky and pigmented. People are sleeping on it!


I'm not a 100% sure but I think I have a crush on Johnny Lavoy. He is so cute, literally cute like babies and teddy bears and other cute things. Haha. I'm a fan of L'Oreal and would have loved to get the bag of goodies they were giving out but, naturally, when I stopped by they were gone.


I first saw these lashes on Pixiwoo's blog. I was excited to see the brand at the show. The lashes are gorgeous but very fragile looking. I don't know if you could get more than a couple uses out of them. I passed on purchasing but they are beautiful, so intricate.


(Left) Lord & Berry (Right) Three Custom Color


And finally me with James Vincent, the man behind the show.
Whew! Stay tuned for the next post - the Fly Beauty Lounge event.

4 comments:

Sorry to hear about the person who bailed on the wedding gig. People don't understand how important other people's time is.

Great review. I'm jealous you got to meet Jennifer. She arrived after I left. Karen AKA AmeriTrini was the 1st person I ran into at the show

http://makeupbykim-porter.com/blog

Jennifer James is the greatest, I met her on the first day and she remembered me from Facebook, I can't wait until she teaches a class in NY...

Thanks for pointing out our (Fluhme) business model! I love the fact that makeup artists can host beauty events, sell the products, and use them with their clients...it's just an added boost to your income and to what you already love doing!

You had an exciting weekend at the show and I can't wait for the next post!!

www.katquarterman.com
www.fluhme.com/kathleen

great pictures!!! SOrry to hear that your wedding gig was canceled!!

Post a Comment

Share

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More