September 8, 2010

Review: Rock & Republic Blush in "Kinky"


Rock and Republic is a premium denim brand made famous for its celebrity clientèle and its collaborations, namely their collection with Victoria Beckham. What a lot of people don't know is that the brand also has a line of cosmetics. It debuted in the fall of 2008 and was sold at Rock & Republic stores as well as high end department stores like Nordstrom and Neiman Marcus. It has since been pulled and can only be found at R&R stores and on their website. I think the main reason that this line didn't catch on was the price point. The blush is $40. There is a highlighting and bronzing powder duo that is $225. O_o WHOA! The line is extensive including lip gloss, pressed powder, blush, eyeshadow, tinted primer, etc. But, I think the price point - even for a luxury brand - was certainly a hurdle for them, especially in this economy. Luckily, I was able to catch a sale on HauteLook, which is an online sample sale site. The Rock & Republic cosmetics were 50% off. So, enough of that. Onto the blush!

THE HYPE
Rock & Republic describes the blushes as the following:
  • Smooth, silky texture
  • Available in three finishes: matte, shimmer and translucent
  • Can be used to highlight or accent

This is pretty much what I have heard from other bloggers and customers. But, I have to say that I didn't find Kinky all that silky or smooth. I found it kind of talcy, if that makes sense. It has an almost rough texture, a hard texture. As for the finish, the blush itself is not labeled, nor is the finish listed on the R&R website. So, I have no idea which finish it is supposed to be. It is a matte blush but do they consider it matte or translucent??? So, that's two strikes. The other thing that I heard a lot is that the blushes are SUPER pigmented. They supposedly rival the intensity of NARS blushes which, for many, is the resident super blush on the market. But, again, I didn't find that to be true here. With NARS blushes you get so much product and so much pigment in one swipe that you really have to be careful not to overdo it. I found that these were actually pretty sheer on contact.

THE REALITY
Here's how I would describe them based on my experience:
  • Sheer but BUILDABLE coverage
  • Long wearing
  • A ton of product
  • Luxe packaging

So, let's start over. I'm going to put what I have heard about the blush aside and focus on what I noticed when using it.

COVERAGE: The blush is sheer but you can easily build the intensity to full pan color. It's important to note that you can build the color slowly in thin layers. This prevents that feeling of excess powder on your face. It's actually genius considering the bold nature of this color. You don't have to worry about adding too much. I think that can be the major challenge for people who use NARS blushes. You can easily move into clown territory. So, to have so much control makes you much more confident in your application.

WEAR: I have oily skin and powder blush usually disappears after about two hours. This blush lasted 6-8 hours on my skin. I couldn't believe that I looked in the mirror at the end of the day and I could still see blush on my face!

QUANITY: This blush is 9g. To put that into perspective, that is the size of a MAC beauty powder. It's huge. The R&R pressed powder is the same size. I don't have any blushes this size so it almost warrants the price.

PACKAGING: Now this is a highly debatable point. I really like the packaging. I think it looks and feels very luxe. I can't wait to pull it out of my purse. :) I can also tell that a lot of thought went into the packaging and there is a great attention to detail. You'll see it in the pics below. The compact has a nice weight and has a huge mirror, which I love. Plus, it has a pin hole on the back to depot the blush. But, I couldn't release the blush when I tried so I don't know about that (plus R&R doesn't sell blush pans). A lot of people have an issue with the packaging because they feel it's bulky and difficult to store. I don't. I keep mine (at this point I have 5 - pics/review to come) in their hatboxes stacked on my makeup desk.


So considering everything, if you can get these on sale for 40% or 50% off they are well worth it. I am in love. I would definitely recommend them.









2 comments:

Dude, I'm buying it. You've sold me!

That is realy pretty with a great color payoff.

Post a Comment

Share

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More